Research Department is the authority for scientific research at NUDT, whose main responsibilities are to:
1. Conduct comprehensive work such as the planning and development of scientific research at NUDT; administrate fundamental research, technology breakthrough projects, humanity and social science projects, university research programs, and research laboratories.
2. Supervise the ongoing work of the Science and Technology Committee and the Academy of National Defense Science and Technology; take part in the work related to the development of NUDT.
3. Supervise basic technical work such as quality, reliability, and standards of research facilities.
4. Supervise academic work such as academic exchanges, research organizations, papers and books, etc; Manage research cooperation and achievements such as intellectual property, research awards, and promote the application of research achievements;
5. Provide guidance for the work of the Information Technology Institute.