The College of Mechatronic Engineering and Automation was founded in 1999 and boasts the first-category National Key Discipline of Control Science and Engineering, the second-category National Key Discipline of Mechatronic Engineering, the four Hunan Province Key Disciplines of Pattern Recognition and Intelligent System, Navigation Guidance and Control, Mechanical Manufacturing and Automation, and Testing Technology and Instruments. The college is qualified to enroll Ph.D. candidates of Control Science and Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, and Instrument Science and Technology as the first-category discipline. The college has four 985 platforms of sci-tech innovation and the Key Laboratory of Ministry of Education.
The college boasts a highly qualified team of faculty members, of which 61% hold senior academic titles, 59% are Ph.D. degree holders, and 12 are winners of special government allowance. At present, the college has 31 Ph.D. supervisors and 80 master supervisors. The teaching team for the course of Computer Hardware Technology and Control was evaluated as the National Teaching Team. Among the faculty members are one member of the Academic Degrees Committee of the State Council, two members of the Disciplinary Evaluation Committee of the State Council (the 6th term), one National Eminent Teacher, three award-winners of National Young and Middle-Aged Experts with Outstanding Contributions, one member of the New Century National Hundred, Thousand and Ten Thousand Talent Project, one winner of the National Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars, and four members of the New Century Excellent Researcher Award Program from the Ministry of Education;
In the past 30 years, the college has won over 200 awards of national, industrial, and ministerial teaching and research achievement, including two first prizes, four second prizes, and two third prizes for National Science and Technology Progress, five National Invention Awards, one second prize for National Teaching Achievement, and over 90 ministerial first/second prizes. The college has passed GB/T19001:2000 and GJB9001A-2001 Quality System Management Verification.
The college has seven chief areas of research:
1. Intelligent Robot Systems, focusing on ground mobile robot systems, intelligent robot environment awareness, mission planning and control, unmanned aircraft system auto control, bio-robot technology.
2. Navigation Guidance and Control Technology, focusing on advanced navigation technology, inertial technology, auto navigation positioning technology.
3. Precision Engineering and Micro-electro Mechanical Systems, focusing on super precision processing technology, nano-meter precision detection technology, micro-electro mechanical system technology.
4. Monitoring, Diagnosis, and Reliability, focusing on monitoring and error diagnosis of the status of machines, testing design and evaluation, reliability experiment theory and technology, weaponry maintenance technology.
5. Simulation Technology, focusing on the fundamental theory of simulation, support and application of simulation technology.
6. Space Measurement and Control Instruments Engineering, focusing on radio measurement, optical measurement, digital measurement.
7. Maglev Control Technology, focusing on the control of suspension, linear pull and operation of maglev, design and integration of maglev system.